For the best Pilates Mat company, call Cara McGrath Pilates.
Living bone is fragile, and when it’s not cared for, osteoporosis can develop and cause increased susceptibility to fractures.
Building Blocks For Bone Health Registered Dietitian Shares Her Top Bone Health Essentials
To find the best Pilates Mat company, click here for Cara McGrath Pilates.
On average, the human body is made up of 206 bones and cartilage that support and shape the body. Living bone is fragile, and when it’s not cared for, osteoporosis can develop and cause increased susceptibility to fractures. According to the Surgeon General, half of all Americans over 50 are expected to suffer or be at risk for osteoporosis.
Fortunately, there are proactive measures people can take to strengthen bones and help prevent osteoporosis. “Calcium along with diet and exercise are the building blocks for strong, healthy bones, but they’re not enough,” said Los Angeles-based registered dietitian, Carroll Reider. “It’s also important to go beyond calcium alone and incorporate other key nutrients into the diet.”
Reider’s top five bone-building nutrients are:
• Calcium helps build and maintain good bone health. And, as part of a healthy diet, adequate calcium intake helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
• Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that helps the body absorb calcium. Vitamin D is essential for the normal development and maintenance of healthy teeth and bones.
• Vitamin K plays an essential role within two important proteins found in all bones.
• Phosphorous is found naturally in the body, with approximately 85 percent being in the bones. Like calcium, phosphorus is an important mineral for bone health.
• B vitamins are important to bone health as they help regulate homocysteine levels. Some studies have shown that high homocysteine levels have a negative effect on bone health.
Other nutrients Reider highlights as bone helpers include vitamin E, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, boron and vitamin C. “It’s best to try to get these nutrients from your diet alone, but that’s not always the easiest thing to do,” said Reider.
To ensure you’re getting all your bone health essentials, Reider recommends incorporating a specialty bone strengthener, such as Nature Made OsteoRenew Ultra into your daily routine. A comparison of bone health supplements at drugstores found OsteoRenew Ultra to be the complete nonprescription bone strengthener. With more bone-fortifying nutrients than any other leading brand, the ingredients in OsteoRenew Ultra’s unique formula have been proven to support bone health in more than 30 clinical studies.